Web: Search Engine Optimization Basicsback to blog
In this article I would like to share what I learned and know about search engine optimization. I have been working in the online marketing industry for 10+ years and have seen many small and medium businesses that don’t know anything about search engine optimization and the benefits it can offer to your business. If properly done, web search engine optimization can help you get new clients, raise revenue and lower your marketing costs.
So, what is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search Engine Optimization is the process of improving traffic to your website from search engines. So when someone types a word or a phrase into Google, Bing or other search engines you appear as high as possible in search results.
To appear closer to the top for a certain keyword you need to consider to multiple factors. Here are just few of them:
- What is the quality of your content and is it unique?
- Is keyword selected for the page appearing in the title, headline and in the text of your page?
- Is there a keyword in the page URL?
- How many sites are linking back to you and how relevant are those sites to the topic of your page?
- Does the external link to your page have a keyword?
- What is authority of your site? How long has your site been up?
Unfortunately, search engines keep a tight secret on ALL the factors they are taking into consideration for rankings. So you can only make an educated guess and test your suggestion and see if it will work for you. On top of that, those factors are changing weekly. So search engine optimization is not a one-time job, you site should be constantly watched and optimized.
Because every business is unique it requires a different approach and SEO strategy. Here are few of the many tactics that need to be taken into consideration to create a successful SEO strategy:
- Thorough analysis of the site to identify where SEO can be improved.
- Competitive research to see what keywords and techniques are being used by competitors.
- Researching of keywords that will work the best for your site
- Optimizing page structure to include results of the keyword research
- Copywriting to include selected keyword into the title, headline and copy of every page.
- Working on creating external links to you content.
- Gathering analytics data to see what works and what doesn’t.
If your web search engine optimization strategy is implemented correctly you will see improvement in the search results and increased traffic to your site.